Top 5 Reasons to Camp in Austin, TX
Posted on February 17, 2020
Austin is ready for adventure! With a reputation as one of the fittest cities in the nation, Austin's year-round mild temperatures, sunny climate, rolling hills, lush forests, and Gulf beaches nearby, there are certainly more than five reasons to camp in Austin, Texas.
With the heart-pounding thrill of Formula One racing, world-class concerts by artists like Bruno Mars and Willie Nelson, and a sports stadium for one of the top Texas teams, Circuit of The Americas presents an incredible camping adventure in Austin, Texas. With this article, we're going to cover the top five reasons Austin is a great place to camp. From terrific fuel prices and outstanding amenities to amazing experiences to be had out in nature, we'll cover it all!
1. Load Up the Toy Hauler - Fuel is Affordable in Texas
As of February 10, 2020, the cheapest gasoline in Texas is about $1.69 a gallon, roughly $1.50 less than the cheapest gas in most other states. If you're coming to Austin from California, for instance, you'll be saving even more! Use those fuel savings to full up your dirt bikes, quads, UTVs, dune buggies and sandrails for an afternoon of fun in the sun - Texas-style!
- Diesel fuel is cheaper in Texas too, but the gap isn't so drastic. Expect to pay a few cents less per gallon of diesel than the national average, as a rule.
All that dust and driving is sure to work up your appetite, which leads nicely into our second most important reason to go camping in Austin.
2. Austin is Famous for Food!
The traditional foods we love while camping are hamburgers, hotdogs and s'mores. You've probably packed your RV refrigerator and coolers with all of your favorite versions and you're ready to grill.
But as a seasoned camper, one can only eat so many hotdogs and grilled cheese sandwiches! It's nice to have some real restaurant options, and Austin is loaded with them! Whether you're looking for world-famous giant Texas steaks, legendary BBQ or changing it up with something from the seaside, Austin has the fine dining experiences that will make your palette sing!
Have a favorite restaurant to visit when you're in Austin? Leave a comment below. We'd love to hear about it!
3. Austin Hosts Amazing Festivals
No one needs a reason to go camping. An escape from everyday routine is reason enough! But if you're the kind of camper that loves festivals and events, Austin is home to many. Check out these outstanding events if you're looking for the festival experience:
- The Austin Marathon - every February this event draws at least 20,000 runners from around the globe. You don't need to be a full-blown marathon runner to take part. They offer shorter races like a 5k and 1 mile too.
- The Water Lantern Festival - occurring every March, watch as your lantern drifts out and joins other lanterns on the water carrying hope, love, healing, peace, and community connection. It's a meaningful night you'll remember forever.
- The Austin Food and Wine Festival - per their website, this April festival presents Texas' most celebrated chefs like Tim Love, Iron Chef Champion and Owner/Chef of Queenie's Steakhouse; Tyson Cole, award-winning Owner/Chef of Uchi and Uchiko in Austin; and Jesse Herman, owner of La Condesa in Austin / Napa.
- The Old Settlers Music Festival - this Tilman, Texas country music fest features world-class performers like Tanya Tucker, and also happens in April 2020.
Experience Amazing Concerts Without Ever Leaving Camp
COTA hosts amazing festivals and concerts too! As home to the Germania Insurance Amphitheater, COTA is Austin's premier destination to see the brightest stars like Jimmy Buffett, KISS, Imagine Dragons, Willie Nelson, Janet Jackson, Kanye West, Van Halen, Maroon 5 and other musical legends!
4. Incredible Natural Attractions Surround Austin
Maybe you enjoy a more solitary experience when camping. Some of us are trying to get away from all the hustle and bustle of city life, and a festival isn't entirely appealing. If you're looking to escape into nature, Austin offers dozens of unique experiences for campers. Consider checking out these natural wonders:
- Pedernales Falls State Park - a scenic place for biking, hiking, fishing and bird watching, Pedernales Falls is generally busy on weekends and holidays but quiet during the week.
- The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin - dedicated to inspiring the conservation of native plants, this botanical garden is open to the public year-round. It makes for a relaxing day away from the crowds.
- Westcave Outdoor Discovery Center - the majestic beauty at this nature preserve is breathtaking! According to their website, "expert-guided tours take visitors from an arid savannah through a limestone crevice into a sheltered canyon of lush plant life." Westcave is found at the head of the canyon hike, where a stunning 40-foot waterfall replenishes the emerald pool below. Guided tours are available on weekends only.
Whether you're seeking solitude or following festivals, your Austin camping experience relies most on a stable place to sleep, rest and refresh yourself between your adventures.
5. An Amazing Campground Experience at COTA
Looking beyond the standard hookups, laundry, freshwater, and grills you're accustomed to, ReV Line Park at Circuit of the Americas provides an adventure-filled campground for those who are looking for thrilling days and restful nights. Our RV camping experience is unlike any you've had in your life! With access to go-carting, Formula One Racing, and a pet-friendly atmosphere, camping at COTA is truly top-notch.
COTA Offers a Once-in-a-Lifetime Austin Camping Experience
ReV Line Park at Circuit of the Americas offers a wholly unique camping experience in Austin. Where else can you watch Lewis Hamilton cruise by you at speeds topping 200 MPH, or even have a chance to conquer the 3.41 mile, 20-turn track yourself?
Rev Line Park's onsite amenities include:
- a general store
- picnic tables
- trackside access
- a pristine swimming pool and covered patio
- a kids playground
- an onsite dog park for Fido
- our unique on-track Audi driving experience
- an incredible zip line experience for thrill-seekers
- manicured lawns
- an all-ages kart racing circuit and more!
Are you interested in camping in Austin? Come stay at ReV Line Park at Circuit of the Americas, the premier destination for experiential camping in Austin, Texas.